Granite has been a popular building material for a long time owing to its beauty and durability. The ancient Egyptians even used it to build the pyramids! Granite stone is unique in its appearance and structure and is ideally suited for kitchen countertops. Why is it the best choice for your kitchen? Here are three reasons.
1. Durable and Almost Maintenance-Free
Granite is an igneous rock with a holocrystalline structure. This means simply that the crystals which make up the stone interlock and grow into each other. This quality is what gives granite its extreme strength and durability. If you decide to chop some food directly on the surface, you would end up damaging your cutting knife well before you’d end up damaging the countertop. In fact, just about the only way you could damage a granite countertop is by taking a sledgehammer to it!
2. Variety of Design Options
Since granite is made of many kinds of crystals, there is a wide variety of colors and patterns available that can suit any look or need. The crystals that make it up include:
- Quartz – fills in gaps around the materials and aids in the resiliency of the stone.
- Mica – adds a metallic luster that makes the stone appear like it has just been polished. Adds silver, black, brown, pink, and violet hues to the color of the granite.
- Feldspar – responsible for most of the coloring of the tabletop. Creates yellow, orange, blue, and pink colors.
- Horneblend & Biotite – a gray stone sprinkled with black and white. This is the most commonly available granite and what most people think of when they think about granite tabletops.
Potential home buyers are looking for well-designed and purposed kitchens. Adding in a granite countertop can add to the potential resale value of your home. Uniquely colored granite often looks a lot like more expensive materials out there such as marble, so you could get the expensive look at a fraction of the cost!
CONTACT SCHWING CONSTRUCTION FOR YOUR HOME REMODELING PROJECT!
For any type of home addition or remodeling service, contact Schwing Construction with your project details. Our experts will come over to your location to understand your requirements and provide customized solutions. We believe in high-quality work at a fair price and we will work hard to earn your complete trust and satisfaction. You can give us a call at 410-960-4132 or complete an online form here and we will reply shortly. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Houzz, and YouTube for updates and to see examples of our work. And keep up with our blog for more tips and information!